Thursday, January 15, 2009

Happy 30th, Cola!

Today is my younger (and only) sister's 30th birthday, which is weirder for me than turning 30 myself. Cola is supposed to be little, and now even she is 30. That means I am getting older for real.

We all went snow tubing for her birthday, which was super duper fun. You can tell, see?

Cola loves tubing

The Knitty-lovers out there may recognize that Cola is wearing a Wavy Scarf in this picture, knit for her by me two years ago. One of my first knitting projects!

Snow tubing self portrait

You can only barely see it in the snow tubing pictures, but Cola is also sporting the earflap hat I made her for Christmas. She is very easy to knit for because she loves almost anything, and she loves it double if it is blue. This definitely contributes to why she and my nephew are so often the recipients of knitted gifts- she appreciates the gifts, and she appreciates me for knitting them. That makes me just want to knit more.

Thorpe front view

Pattern: Thorpe, by throughtheloops
Yarn: Cascade Chunky Tweed, with Paton's Classic Merino held doubled for the crochet edging and braids

Thorpe from the back

There's not a lot to say that hasn't been said before about this pattern- it's fast, easy, free, and the results are functional and good-looking. In fact, now that I think about it, I should probably whip one of these up for my trip to Chicago this weekend...

thorpe from the side

Nah, I know I won't. My heart beats only for Ingenue. We have spent a magical week together, and now I just have one sleeve left. I'll probably try to churn it out Friday night to have it done in time to wear in the Windy City. She deserves a true day out on the town.