Monday, January 12, 2009

The Bandana Sisters Learn to Sew

My mom is an amazing seamstress- she made us all of these crazy elaborate costumes for Halloween when we were kids, and she even made the bridesmaids' dresses for my sister's wedding. Recently, we have been begging Mom to teach us her skills and we were psyched when our parents got us Project Runway sewing machines for Christmas this year, along with scissors and notions and everything else you could possibly need to start a sewing factory. P.S. - What about this sewing machine makes it related to Project Runway? I don't know and I don't care- I lovelovelove PR so slapping the name on a machine is one marketing ploy that worked on me.

This weekend, Mom and Nicole came to my house and we got down to business. As is her way, Mom brought with her piles and piles of fabric to practice with, as well as all we needed to make our first project- a simple little apron. I saw this apron pattern on the CRAFT blog and mentioned to Mom that I'd love it if she made me one for Christmas. She did me one better- she got me all I needed to make one for myself. P.P.S. - The CRAFT blog, by the way, is just awesome. I have their RSS feed on my iGoogle, so several times a day I get a little burst of crafty coolness. There's something very cheerful about it.
Learning to sew
We all set up shop on my giant dining room table and got to work. Sewing is both easier and harder than I thought it would be. It's easier because even when you mess up (don't sew straight lines, end up with big tangles of thread for no apparent reason), you still end up with a product that is cool and neat and professional-looking. It's harder because the simple things- namely making a straight line- are pretty darn hard. I know it will get better with practice, though.
Logan helps sew
I had bought a book to teach me how to sew, but I honestly don't think I could have gotten anywhere without Mom giving me the hands-on training. And maybe without Logan to supervise :)
I ended up with a colorful, fun, functional apron. I love it! I want to sew more things! I want to make a full apron (because I seem to spill the most things on my shirt, not my pants). I want to make curtains for every window in my house. I want to make pillows for my couch, and tote bags, and skirts, and holy crap I have another freaking craft.
First sewing project