Monday, December 29, 2008

Wildcats Scarf

My father-in-law is a huge University of Kentucky fan, so for Christmas I knit him up a simple blue and white striped scarf. It's a 1 X 1 rib, with 19 24-row stripes.

Danny's Christmas Scarf

I did learn a couple of new tricks while knitting this. My favorite is the tubular cast on, as described in the Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques. It creates such a professional-looking edge, and it wasn't really that hard. I used the kitchener stitch cast-off to create a matching edge on the other side, and that worked out well too.

Neat edges

I also slipped the first and last stitches of every other row to create a nice neat vertical edge as well. I got the idea for these tricks from ogling the beautiful Noro striped scarves on Ravelry- I know I'll eventually get to one of those, too. Sometimes it's just the simple stuff, right?

Neat slipped edges