Monday, December 3, 2007

When Farrah discovers shawls

I have to admit, I never really thought I'd knit one. They're beautiful for sure, but my fashion sense can be dubious enough as it is, without adding elaborate lace work into the mix. But it's Christmas, and I wanted to knit something for my Grandma Betty, so what better occasion to try the wonder of lace?
Shetland Triangle Shawl
Pattern: Shetland Triangle Shawl from Scarf Style
Yarn: Not even a full skein of Schaefer Anne (a yarn souvenir from a trip to Philly this past summer, in which I dragged 5 non-knitters into the tiny Rosie's Yarn Cellar and it was such a cool place they didn't even complain)
Needles: Size 6 Knitpicks Options
Modifications: One extra lace repeat

Shetland Triangle Shawl

This was definitely a learning experience- I just am not experienced enough to do even the simplest lace when watching Heroes. Even if I really want to watch Heroes and knit, my desire is just not proportional to my talent. So I had to frog back a ton, and often, and it dented my spirit and made this thing take forever to finish. But as I got closer to the end, I began to fall in love and ended up even adding an extra repeat to the pattern to make it bigger. It still could use to be a little bigger, honestly, but I really think it is just beautiful.

Shetland Triangle Shawl

The best part is that I get to give this to my super-crafty Grandma for Christmas, who will truly cherish it and understand how much work went into it. And I actually sort of feel fabulous wearing it, which means I'm going to have to reevaluate my no-shawls policy. Great.