Sunday, December 30, 2007

Back with a Bag

I've been away for a few weeks visiting the family for the holidays, where the knitted gifts went over quite well. I didn't get to do much knitting, but I did get to finish this fun little bag. The knitting was done months ago, but I left it with my mom so she could sew in the lining (I have no sewing machine and NO sewing skills).

Slouchy purse

Pattern: Drops Bag with Cable Pattern
Yarn: Patons Shetland Chunky Tweeds in Biscuit (2 skeins)
Needles: Size 10 Knitpicks Options
Handles, Buttons, and fabric for lining from Joann.com

Modifications: None really, but the pattern was a little vague in places. In particular, I had a little trouble with the decreases. You have 220 stitches and have to go down to 75 stitches, meaning that you have to find a way to evenly decrease 145 stitches. I found some advice on Craftster and this is what I did, in case anyone is interested:

k3tog 11 times, k2tog (k3tog 12 times, k2tog, k3tog 11 times, k2tog), repeat, k3tog 13 times.

If I were to make this again, I would not do the buttonholes...I'd sew on the buttons just for show, but I'd have some kind of magnet or snap deal to close the purse up. The buttons are just kind of a pain.

I've been wearing this pretty much nonstop and have gotten tons of compliments on it- I love it! Several people requested one for Christmas next year, so there may be more of these in my future.

Holding purse

Big thanks to Mom for sewing the lining and helping me figure out how to do the handles-they turned out functional and cute.

Inside purse

In other exciting news, we got a new camera for Christmas! It's an Olympus Stylus 820; it has all kinds of great features and so far I am impressed. These pictures are the first batch...you will be seeing many, many more in the future!