Saturday, January 5, 2008

A few little things

I may be a in a little bit of a post-holiday knitting slump. I'm going on a cruise in a little over a week and will have tons of knitting time, but I just can't decide what to start. Everything seems too small or too big or...or too something. Anyone have any ideas?

Meanwhile, I have a few little things to share. First up, my 2007 ornaments. I've been making ornaments for the women in my family for the past few years, and this year I combined my two favorite things- knitting and wine- to make korknisse.

Christmas ornaments

Pattern: Korknisse - free pattern by Manne
Yarn: Scraps from my Central Park Hoodie & Silk Garden from Mom's Lady E
Needles: Size 3 DPNs

You can't see them that well, but I found these little snowflake and holly buttons at Joann that I sewed on the hats for decoration- I think they really added something.

Next up, my friend Frank is running a half marathon next weekend and had the audacity to mention that he needed to buy a hat for the race. Seriously? Frank, seriously? We got on Ravelry and he picked out this pattern. I wanted to knit it up in something that would be warm but nice and soft, so I tried out Berroco Ultra Alpaca in this pretty heathered green.

Ribbed hat- top view

Pattern: Fig & Plum's Ribbed Hat (another free pattern)
Yarn: About a half a skein of Ultra Alpaca
Needles: Size 8 Addis

Ribbed hat side view

Yay- it fits! And I think he likes it!

Finally, I got a new phone! (Sidebar: I got a Sprint Rumor phone, which has a keyboard that pops out of the side for text messaging. I'm no gadget girl, but this thing is kind of changing my life). The day I got it, I came home from work and knit up this little cozy. I decided to make it with a stranded design to give the phone more protection, and I had all these bright colors of Sugar & Cream cotton laying around so I went with that.

Pattern: Improvised (aka pulled out of my ass)
Yarn: Sugar & Cream cotton scraps
Needles: Size 7 DPNs

Phone cozy

After making the button mistake with my cabled bag, I knew I had to do something less fussy with this bad boy. I picked up a magnet closure and then just sewed a button to the outside to cover it (this was actually a big of a saga).

Phone cozy open

That's what I got for now...hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll have some decisions made about my next big thing.